- Principals Report Week 3 Term 2
- Religious Education News
- Veritas Awards
- BEST Awards
- Dates for your Diary
- COVID19 - Please Report all Household Cases to the School
- Extracurricular Activities at Rosary
- Rosary Community Council Update
- Clothing Pool Open during School Hours
- School Counselling Services
- Whole Day Absences - please submit via Parent Portal
- Catholic Education Online Family Event to Celebrate National Families Week - 16th May 2022
- Parents and Bubs Alpha Course - Holy Rosary Church
- 2022 Term Dates
- Rosary Primary Enrolling NOW
- Rosary Rugby Round 1
- Rosary Community Council
- St Joseph's Primary School - Preschool
- Daramalan College 2023 Enrolments
- St Edmund's College Canberra is now ENROLLING FOR 2023
- St John Paul II College Open Events
- St Clare's College Enrolment Events
- Hand Washing Poster
- Coughing and Sneezing Etiquette Poster
Dear Parents and Carers
Freeman House wins the annual Cross Country Carnival!
Congratulations to Freeman House on winning the Cross Country last week on overall points. Each student was awarded points for running and competing in their race, with the placegetters being awarded extra points for finishing in the top positions. It was a closely contested affair though with just 10 points separating the first three houses!! This week we released the names of 50 students that have been successful in making our school team for the upcoming North Gungahlin PSSA Cross Country Carnival. This includes the first 5 boys and 5 girls in each age group from Under 8’s and up.
Catholic School Enrolments Period Open Now
Interest has been growing in the number of families looking to enrol their children for places at Rosary School now and also for 2023. Our first two open mornings have been quite successful. You are reminded that there are still two scheduled times for prospective families to visit the school for a tour and meet with staff and students. Please continue to spread the word! Thanks.
Rosary Primary School - 2023 Enrolment Period Enrolment Open Times
3.30pm - 4.30pm Tuesday 17 May 2022 (afternoon session)
9.00am - 11.00am Tuesday 24 May 2022
Please see our school website or contact the school office for more details.
Winter Uniforms Looking Good
Well done to our students on wearing the correct winter school uniform this week. Our students have been looking warm and smart in their uniforms, proud to be part of the Rosary School Community. Thank you to parents and carers too for encouraging students to dress in the correct uniform on the correct days.
Hats to be worn in May - but no hats in June and July
Students have been reminded that they still need to wear their school hats in the month of May. However, we follow SUNSMART guidelines and students are not required to wear a hat in June or July. At this time of the year they benefit from exposure to some sun and vitamin D.
NAPLAN this Week
Congratulations to our Year 3 and Year 5 students and staff for their participation in the NAPLAN assessment this week. Students have been focussed and have given their best efforts. Tasks were online, with the exception of the Year 3 assessment.
Thank you for your continued support in monitoring your child’s health and wellbeing. Rosary School has had some reported cases of students with COVID this term, however, at this point we have not had an increase in cases in relation to Term One. As Canberra and surrounding areas adjust to the relaxation of some COVID restrictions, we will continue to track our student absences and any potential impact on our community. It is really helping our community when students and staff that are unwell, and have flu-like symptoms, do not attend school until they are well.
School Rule reminder - Students are not allowed to share food or or buying food for others
This week I reminded our students that they are not allowed to share food or drinks at any time. They are also not allowed to buy food from the canteen for other students. There are a number of students in our school with food allergies and are at risk of an anaphylactic reaction if they come into contact with certain substances. I would appreciate it if you could also reinforce this with your children if discussed at home. They need to be satisfied with the food you provide for their fruit break, recess and lunch.
Reminder - Pupil Free Day Next Monday
Just a reminder that next Monday 16 May is the first of two extra pupil free days at Rosary School. Rosary staff will be at school as normal and there is an agenda in place that includes some administration time, time for undertaking teaching and learning tasks, undertaking CPR/Anaphylaxis training and planning to meet the needs of students.
I can confirm that OSHClub is offering care at school on this day and also on Friday 10 June. Please contact OSHClub directly to book into their program if required.
Wishing you all the best for the week ahead. Take care, stay well.
FIFTH SUNDAY OF EASTER
Year C | Sunday 15 May | white
"I give you a new commandment: love one another."
Click on the link below to go the readings and activities for this Sunday.
Year 1 Liturgy
Year 1 will participate in a Liturgy tomorrow, Thursday 12 May, 10am at Holy Rosary Church. All welcome!
Parents and Bubs Alpha
Join local parents over coffee and muffins after school drop off. Holy Rosary Parish is hosting an Alpha parents group every Friday morning at 10am in the Parish Centre. A great way to grow and learn more about your faith in a relaxed environment. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your coffee order.
Peace and best wishes
Religious Education Co-ordinator
Congratulations to the following students who received a BEST Award:
Emily Henderson- Allard
Due to current restrictions, there are limited events planned for the next two weeks. If any events are able to proceed, information will be provided via Compass.
- Catholic Schools Week - Monday 2nd - Friday 6th May
- Enrolment Period Begins - Monday 2nd May
- Mothers Day - Sunday 8th May
- NAPLAN Testing Period - Tuesday 10th - Friday 20th May - Year 3 and Year 5 Students only
- Year 1 Liturgy - Thursday 12th May - Holy Rosary Church 10.00am - All Welcome
- Pupil Free Day - Monday 16th May
- Rosary Primary School Open Day - Tuesday 17th May 3.30pm - 4.30pm
If a member of your family contracts Covid or if a student who attends the school tests positive, we ask that you please advise the school via phone or email.
Should a student be absent for either reason we also ask that you complete a COMPASS absence notification for the time the student will be away.
We appreciate your assistance with keeping our comunity safe.
There are many extracurricular activities available onsite for our Rosary Students. Please note all of these activities attract a fee and are delivered by external providers. Please see the timetable below for details:
- French Lessons - Monday 3.10pm - 4.25pm (continuing) / Wednesday 8.00am - 9.00am (beginner)
- Tae Kwon-Do - Monday 6.30pm Children class / 7:30pm Adult class
- Mandarin Lessons - Tuesday 3.10pm - 4.15pm
- Chess Club - Tuesday 3.10pm - 4.30pm (Weeks 2 - 10)
- Zanshin Martial Arts - Tuesday 6.30pm Junior class / 7:30pm Senior class
- Artkids - Thursday 3.15pm - 5.15pm
- Italian Lessons - Friday 8:00am - 9:00am (beginner) and 3.10pm - 4.25pm (continuing)
- Musicorp (various instruments) / Piano Lessons - Friday 8:20am and during class time throughout the day
- Dance - Play Dance Agency Class - Fridays at Lunchtime (weeks 2-10) - Please see flyer attached to this weeks newsletter for more information.
Please contact the school if you require further information.
Rosary Council met for our first meeting for Term 2 last Wednesday 4th May. Again we had a full agenda and a new format Financial Report was presented with many thanks to our Treasurer Justine Tansley and Rosary staff who helped pull this together. The numbers are one thing but having them in a format that allows us to do some comparative analysis on the data based on previous periods will be invaluable moving forward. But of course it isn’t all about the numbers. We had an interesting Teaching/Curriculum report from Kath Watson covering the Kindergarten Early Learning STEM Australia (ELSA) Foundation year program and it was great to hear that Luncthime clubs are resuming post COVID cancellations. Kath also explained the Professional Learning that was held on the pupil free day at the beginning of term covering explicit teaching and classroom management and behaviour.
Our Principal covered a myriad of topics in his report and advised of the continued enrolment interest with new students and families joining the school community across the classes. We also reviewed the Catholic Education Office’s recently released COVID Roadmap which provides guidance to the schools on processes and procedures for managing COVID in the community.
Fundraising for the remainder of the year was also discussed and we will have more on that in the near future as we await some further advice. Of course everything remains subject to change!
An update on the Oval upgrade project. After further investigation we were advised that the grant we were pursuing through Icon Water’s Community Support Program is not for schools rather for charities and not-for-profit organisations so we are now pursuing other funding avenues to help with this project. Timing is also important as work on the oval needs to be done at the right time of year and will also mean it is not available for general use.
Finally, and importantly, we discussed the Open Council Meeting. Please put this date in your diaries – Wednesday 1 June at 7:00pm in the School Library. Please advise if you are intending to come along as we need to manage numbers and catering. Please respond via the Council email address: email@example.com
The Rosary Clothing Pool is open to families to purchase second hand uniform items for $5 per piece. Please note that currently only one family is allowed in the room at any one time and hand sanitisation is required upon entry and exit. A key is available from the front office to access the room during school hours for your convenience.
All new uniform items can be purchased from Personally Yours. They are located at 218 Gladstone St, Fyshwick ACT 2609 and can be contacted on 6280 4166.
The school counsellor, Hilde de Raadt-Abma, is available every Wednesday and Thursday.
You can refer your child for counselling by filling in a referral form available on Catholic Care’s website or follow this link: https://catholiccare.force.com/housing/s/school-referral-form
After you have filled out the referral form you will automatically be sent an email requesting your consent for your child to access the service. In the case of families where parents are separated, consent of both parents is normally required. If this is difficult for you please feel free to discuss with Hilde.
Hilda can be contacted via the school or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
If your child is absent from school for a whole day or longer, please submit details of the absence via the Parent Portal. This should be completed within 7 days of the absence.
If your child will only be absent for a partial day, the absence will be recorded as your child is signed in or out via the kiosk at the front office. You do not need to add an early pick up or late drop off via the Parent Portal.
Unexplained absences for your child will be displayed on your homepage when you log in to Parent Portal.
If an unexplained absence appears that you believe to be incorrect, please send an email to the front office for investigation.
The school year is divided into four terms. Term dates for the year 2022 are as follows:
Term 1 (10 weeks) Monday 31 January - Friday 8 April
Term 2 (10 weeks) Wednesday 27 April - Friday 1 July (Tuesday 26 April is a system wide Pupil Free Day)
Term 3 (10 weeks) Tuesday 19 July - Friday 23 September (Monday 18 July is a system wide Pupil Free Day)
Term 4 (10 weeks) Monday 10 October – Friday 16 December
The Rosary Community Council Representatives for 2022 are:
|Council Chair :||Christine Allard|
|Deputy Chair :||Libby Reardon|
|Treasurer :||Justine Tansley|
|Secretary :||Catherine Garreffa|
|Parent Representative :||Lucy Steen|
|Parent Representative :||Raphaela Higginbotham|
|Parent Representative :||Nicole Kee|
|Parent Representative:||Anna Woodhouse|
|Staff Representative :||Kath Watson|
|Ex Officio :||Parish Priest|
|Executive Officer :||Principal/Assistant Principal|
The Council has responsibility to make decisions in the following areas:
- Supporting the development of the Catholic identity, ethos and mission of the school.
- Supporting pastoral care strategies in the school community.
- Promoting the school in the local community.
- Developing, approving and monitoring the annual budget, including school determined levies, loan commitments and the fees collection and remission policy.
- Developing and monitoring school enterprises, eg Outside School Hours Care (ROSACS), sports associations, hall hire.
- Developing capital and maintenance programs.
- Developing local strategic plans (finances, buildings, resources) and contributing to Archdiocesan educational strategic planning.
- Facilitating local school community debate in response to System leadership by the Catholic Education Commission (CEC) and Catholic Education (CE) in lobbying governments in school funding campaigns.
- Approving school uniform items decided at school level.
- Ensuring that the Parish and school community receives the Annual School Council Report.
- Fundraising for the benefit of students in the school community.
The Council has responsibility to provide advice in areas such as:
- School programs and activities.
- School policies, e.g. reporting, homework, student welfare etc.
- Parent support processes.
- Other matters as requested by the Parish Priest or Principal.
Communication with the Council can be made via email: email@example.com
Information regarding the Council can be found at: For Parents – Rosary Community Council https://www.rosary.act.edu.au/Rosary-Community-Council
Attention Year 6 Families,
St Edmund's College Canberra is now ENROLLING FOR 2023!
If you are interested in learning more register now to attend our upcoming events
Information Evening - Tuesday 3 May at 6pm
Open Day - Saturday 7 May at 10am
Experience Eddies Day - Monday 9 May at 8.45am